Thursday, July 22, 2010

Creating a Card with the Stained Glass Technique

Hi Everyone,
I am so excited to share with you how I created the card from the previous past using the Stained Glass Technique on Vellum. This technique is created when you stamp an image onto vellum and then apply color using markers or ink to the reverse side so that when it is turned back to the front, it appears to look like stained glass. I hope that you will love this technique as much as I do.
Now because I created my original card for a swap, I didn't take photos of the steps along the way, so I chose to make a new card and took photos of the different layers (although I still forgot to take a photo of the colored vellum layer).
Here is a photo of the completed card I created. This time I decided to use orange and yellow for my flowers and although I like the color combination, next time I would switch it so that my roses were yellow and my blossoms were orange.
Ok, so to create this card I started with a card base of Very Vanilla cardstock because I wanted a vintage feel to my card.
Next I took my En Francais background stamp and using River Rock Classic ink, I inked the whole stamp. Then, with my background stamp on the table facing up, I carefully placed the front of my card face down onto the stamp and gently rubbed the back to transfer the image evenly. Carefully lift the card straight up to get a clean, crisp image.
This is how your card front will look when you are done. This will provide that soft background script that will add dimension to your card design. Put your card base to one side ready for the next step.
Now we will work on the top layer by cutting a piece of White Vellum Paper, 4 1/4 x 5 1/2. Place your piece of vellum on top of a clean piece of white typing paper to protect your surface and your image. This will make it easier to work on this part of the card.
Using the large rose floral image from the stamp set Elements of Style, I stamped this image on my vellum. Now I used Crumb Cake Classic ink but looking back at my card I wish I had used an ink that was darker so that the image stood out a little better. I would suggest trying Chocolate Chip or perhaps even Early Espresso Classic ink for a more defined stamp image that will allow it to show through when colored with the Stampin' Write Markers.
This is how it will look once you have stamped your image. As you can see, it has a very soft, sepia look to it. Allow the ink on the vellum to dry completely before moving onto the next step to avoid smearing.
While you are waiting for the vellum to dry, start choosing the colors that you want to use to color the elements of your stamped image. Remember that you want colors that will not be too dark so that you can still see the original stamped image through the color. I chose to use Pear Pizzazz (New In Color) for the leaves, Peach Parfait (New In Color) for my roses and Daffodil Delight for my blossoms. All three of these are brand new colors just released this month, and I am having so much fun coming up with new color combinations.
Once your stamped image on the vellum is dry, flip the vellum over so that the reverse side is facing up. Starting with the leaves and stems, color them in using the brush tip of the Pear Pizzazz Stampin' Write Marker to add soft subtle color to your leaves. Be careful not to smudge where you have colored with your hands (I find rotating the vellum as you color helps with this).
Next I colored the roses with my Peach Parfait Stampin' Write Marker. Now, when I first started I realized that it was a little too dark and my stamped image was not showing through as I would have liked. So then I tried just outlining the stamped areas with my marker and gently smudging the color with my finger tip which gave it a softer look. Another alternative would be to use a sponge dauber to carefully add color to the image. Play around with this to come up with what works best for you.
Using my Daffodil Delight Stampin' Write Marker to color my blossoms with just a touch of the Peach Parfait to add depth to the centers. When complete, allow it to dry to prevent the colors from smudging.
The sentiment on the front of the card is created using the new Level 3 Hostess stamp set, Occasional Quotes. I love having lots of different sentiments to choose from and this set has a wonderful variety that work for many different occasions. I used Pear Pizzazz Classic ink to stamp the sentiment onto Very Vanilla cardstock and then I punched it out using the Modern Label Extra Large punch and then sponged the edges with Pear Pizzazz Classic ink. The scalloped oval that mattes the sentiment is actually created from two halves of the Extra Large Scallop Oval punch from Pear Pizzazz cardstock, so that it evenly frames both sides of the sentiment. To add a little sparkle, I applied Dazzling Diamonds using my Two Way Glue Pen.
So now it is time to assemble my card. If you have any experience with vellum you will know that using adhesive with it can be a little tricky. Most adhesives will show through the vellum which is not a desirable look. I discovered that my Two Way Glue Pen worked great with the vellum without showing through, yippee!
Before you glue your vellum on your card, flip the vellum over to the right side and place it on top of your card front. Check and make sure that everything looks the way you want it and fix anything before the next step. Once you glue the vellum in place there is no going back.
To adhere the vellum to your card front, flip the vellum to the reverse side again and using your Two Way Glue Pen, draw a thin line along all four sides of your vellum. It will look blue but once it dries it will be clear and will not show. Carefully place your vellum onto your card front starting with the top and lining it up as you work your way down. You can carefully lift the vellum as you work with it to make sure it goes on smoothly. Gently smooth the vellum to make sure there are no bubbles or kinks.
Once you are happy with how it looks, you can adhere your sentiment to the vellum using snail adhesive. For the finishing touch, I took a sponge dauber and gently sponged the outside edges of the front of the card with Pear Pizzazz Classic ink for a soft shadow look. Because the ink will be on the vellum, you will still be able to see the background script through the sponged color. Here is photo of the finished card again for you to see.
There are so many ways you can use the Stained Glass technique to design your cards and papercrafting projects. Think of how pretty it would look for a Christmas card design or to enhance a scrapbook page. Please contact me if you have any questions or you would like to place an order. Remember you can also place your order online through my Stampin' Up website by clicking Shop Now.
I hope you have enjoyed today's Creative Card share and I hope that it will inspire you to create your own works of art.
Until Next Time.
Happy Stampin',
Tricia Butts

Supplies Used (All Stampin' Up):
Stamps: En Francais Background, Level 3 Hostess Set Occasional Quotes
Elements Of Style - Clear-Mount Stamp 120045 Price: $19.95
                                - Wood-Mount Stamp 118611 Price: $27.95 Set Quantity: 5






No comments:

Post a Comment