Monday, March 15, 2010

Blissful Birthday in Blue

Happy Monday Everyone,
Well, the morning has been pure chaos but I finally have a moment to sit down and add today's card share. This card was another card from Saturday's card class and I like to have at least one of my cards for my classes have a masculine theme, because, let's face it, males have birthdays too.
Most people, myself included, struggle with what to create when it comes to a card for the men in their lives. So, I took the challenge when creating this card, hoping to come up with a design that not only would work as a masculine card but that would also work for various age groups.
Now, besides being my favorite color, blue tends to be a safe bet when it comes to guys. After all, aren't we told "blue for boys, pink for girls". So with that in mind, I chose my new favorite combination from Stampin' Up's Bold Brights color family, Brilliant Blue and Tempting Turquoise to create my card.
I also decided to incorporate two of Stampin' Up's birthday stamp sets that can also be found on the Sale-a-bration free product list that expires March 31st, Starring You and Birthday Bliss.
I created the card base from a piece of Tempting Turquoise cardstock cut at 4 1/4" x 11" and scored at 5 1/2" to create a top fold card. Next, I took a piece of Brilliant Blue cardstock and stamped the image from the Starring You stamp set randomly over it with Brilliant Blue Classic ink to create a tone on tone pattern.
Then I decided to add a little texture using the faux suede technique. I punched out two circles in Tempting Turquoise cardstock, one 1"and one 3/4", and then did the same from Brilliant Blue cardstock. I then used my bone folder to break down the fibers in the cardstock by rubbing the bone folder across the cardstock on both sides of the circles until the cardstock begins to separate around the edges.
Next, I carefully peel the two layers apart until I have two circles, with each circle having a smooth side and a rough or faux suede side. Repeat this for all your circles and you will have a total of 8 circle. Taking the 3/4" circles, scrunch them up and then flatten them out again. Then apply ink to them with a sponge dauber or lightly rub them accross the ink pad  of the corresponding color (i.e. Tempting Turquoise Classic ink on Tempting Turquoise cardstock).
Using glue dots to attach the smaller circles to the larger circles, I paired up the Tempting Turquoise circles with the corresponding Brilliant Blue circles. I arranged them on the front of my card until I was happy with how it looked (making sure to leave a space large enough to fit my sentiment). I applied a small amount of adhesive to the back of each of the large circles and adhered them to the card front.
To complete the card, I stamped the sentiment using the Birthday Bliss stamp (from the stamp set of the same name) in Tempting Turquoise Classic ink onto Whisper White cardstock and then punched it out using the Wide Oval punch. I attached it to the card using dimensionals.
So there you have it. A male birthday card that works for most age groups and comes together relatively quickly so that you could make several at a time to have on hand for birthdays through out the year. Change the colors for variety (I think this card would look great in varying shades of brown or combine shades of red and orange for a bold look).
I hope you have enjoyed today's card and please, don't forget to take advantage of Sale-a-bration and the opportunity to earn free Sale-a-bration products. Contact me today learn mor or to place your order. Plus, you can place your order online through my Stampin' Up Online Store by clicking Shop Now.
Until Next Time.
Happy Stampin,
Tricia Butts

Products Used (All Stampin' Up):
Stamp Sets: 
Birthday Bliss 115442   Price: $15.95  Set Quantity: 4 *
Starring You  111696    Price: $13.95  Set Quantity: 4  *
* Earn either Stamp Set Free during Sale-a-bration with the purchase of $50 in Stampin' Up products. Purchase $100 in Stampin' Up products and earn both sets free. (Excludes S&H and Taxes) 
Cardstock: Tempting Turquoise, Brilliant Blue, Whisper White
Ink: Tempting Turquoise, Brilliant Blue
Accessories: Wide Oval Punch, 1" Circle Punch, 3/4" Circle Punch, Bone Folder, mini Glue dots, Snail Adhesive, Stampin' Dimensionals


No comments:

Post a Comment